October 5th, 2006
In some instances it is necessary to protect a computer by disabling the local Administrator account in Windows XP. Before doing this it is very important to verify that you have another account which has admin privileges on the system.
To disable the local admin account:
- Log on to the system using an account that has administrator privileges.
- Right-click My Computer and select Manage to bring up the Computer Management applet.
- In the left pane, expand the Local Users and Groups node and click on Users.
- In the right details pane, double-click Administrator.
- In the Properties dialog box, go to the General tab, and select Account is Disabled.
- Click OK and then close the Computer Management applet.